Saturday, July 11, 2009

The history of my "Technicals"

In gas ballooning, you have several things in the basket that require electrical power from a battery, and you need some sort of distribution "thing" to run the power from the battery to each device. For my very first race, I was all uptight about having everything perfect, and the only technical I had ever seen was Willie Eimer's box. See Fig 1. Below

Fig 1. The "Eimers" version

It looks like something that should be on the dash of a 767 Airbus. I made an exact replica of Wilies, thinking that since he was such a veteran that he must have come up with the optimal solution. Well, it turns out he just likes to tinker. Anyway, This one was a rats nest of wiring on the inside, complicated to hook up, and hard to deal with at 2am.

So I decided to simplify. See Fig 2 below. I figured all I really needed was the connectors on the bottom and a main switch, but I added a new feature, a switch on the front to select one of 4 batteries that are under the seat.

Fig 2. The "MacNutt Multi Battery" version
This looked and worked great, but for some reason my radio would stop working sometimes due to lack of power. After two years of irritation, I figured out that I had too many thin wires with all those battery selections, and it was starving the radio.

This year I had had enough of this shit, and came up with the optimal solution; See fig 3 below.
One very thick cable from the box to the battery, a simple digital voltmeter, and 3 cig sockets for accessories like cell phone chargers.

Fig. 3 The "Finally Something Reasonable" version

It weighs nothing, has almost no wiring on the inside, and provides solid power to the transponder and radio.
I wish I was clever like other people who get things right the first time, but I am a dunce.

No comments:

Post a Comment