Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The questionable use of "Dr." for Chiropractors

I have a good chiropractor scam story to tell. These folks call themselves "doctors" but I was always suspicious of this because I thought that they never went to medical school. So I did some research. Turns out I was totally right, here are the requirements: TWO years of college, 3 years at a chiropractor school, and one year of bending people under supervision. In comparison, the requirements for a real doctor are : A four year college degree with a substantially high GPA (like near 4.0), four years of medical school, two years of internship/residency, then another couple of years in specialization.

Now let me quickly say that chiropractors are essential in helping many people with spine problems, but mostly what they do is the mechanical part, i.e, the actual bending and snapping to get things back in line. From the diagnostic perspective, any MD is just as capable.

Here are two experiences I have had with chiropractors. I expect a deluge of hate mail from chiropractors on this . "There are of course bad apples in our profession, you are an idiot for deriving an opinion based on just two experiences".
The most common complaint is that regardless of what is wrong with you, they will always recommend a "lifetime of adjustments". That appears to be how they stay in business.

Experience 1
I sustained a rather severe knee injury when I was 18. One day I was hanging out with my friend George who is a chiropractor; my knee popped and I limped a bit.
"What's wrong with your knee?"
"Oh, it just goes out sometimes"
"I can fix that".
He didn't even know what was wrong.
That's a rather cocky attitude if you ask me. If I could go back in time, I would have replied "George, I don't even have a leg, my prostheses just needs the bearings greased". There is not an MD on this planet that would have made such a statement without hearing what caused the damage, X-rays, and a thorough examination. Only then would they let me know if they could do any sort of repair.
A short while later it got worse so I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He did a full examination and found that substantial arthritis had set in and the kneecap was damaged. The only chance at a repair would involve surgery, which he did not recommend. Chiropractors are not allowed to have any knives, much less a scalpel in their clinics.

Experience 2:
One February I started back running after a lapse in the winter. After a few runs I begin having hip pains when I ran. I had a race coming up soon and my cube mate at work told me he had the same thing and that a chiropractor might be able to fix it quickly with onef those "adjustments" and get me back in the race. I made an appointment and went in. I was worried right away when the only thing i saw were fat people and rows of bizarre looking couches. The first thing they did was take about 40 X-rays; I did not even meet with the chiro first. After they developed them, the chiro came in, put the xray of my back up on a light box and proceeded to start drawing all sorts of lines on it with a ruler and grease pencil. After a few minutes and about 50 lines, she finally started talking to me.
"Here are the problems with your spine". She went on to discuss many of these grease lines and telling me what was wrong using big words.
"So... um, can you fix my hip?"
"I am setting you up with daily adjustments for the first two weeks, then 3 adjustments for the next two weeks, then once a month from there out".
"Um, that's a lot of visits, is that really necessary?"
"Your spine has to be proper in order for you body to work right".
"How long do i have to do these monthly visits"
"oh, forever of course".
"That's a lot of money...."

I ran from that clinic (located between a tuxedo shop and a Quizno's), and went to see a sports doctor located in the same building as a shoe store. I was seated in the exam room when the door busted open and a guy in short polyester "coaching shorts", white ankle socks, white running shoes, a polo shirt, and "handsome man hair" came in. "Doctor Chuck Schick, damned glad to meet you !!!" he barked out, while shaking my hand, crushing every bone. Following right behind him was a girl dressed the same has him with bleach blond hair and from her looks, I would assume had a night job at Hooters. She had this high tech looking roll-around stand with a laptop on it. She was typing everything he said, probably even the "Chuck Schick, damned glad to meet you" comment. "Doctor" Schick was loud and boisterous, kind of like salesmen are. I told him about my hip pain and he asked me to lower my jeans down so he could look at it. Right in front of miss bimbo. I think this is illegal but I have to do some research on it. Regardless, this was highly inappropriate if you ask me. "You'll need to stop running on this for a while until it completely heals, maybe a couple of weeks or more". and blah blah blah. I paid my money and ran.
FINALLY I came to my senses and did what I should have done in the first place; I went to my regular physician, a real M.D. We chatted a bit and I told her the same thing I told those other idiots. "William, how many miles are you running a week?". "Oh, about 20 I think, I have a race coming up soon". "Cut that in half and give me a call in a week". I did as she said, the pain went away, and never returned.
Oh, and regarding the Chiroscammers; that was 15 years ago and to date, I have never had any back pain in any way, shape or form. My MD says my back and spine are just fine.

1 comment:

  1. You've hit the nail on the head, Beldar. I've known several people who patronized chiropractors. I've never known one who went to get a specific problem dealt with and that was it. They always go regularly - forever. What kind of doctor operates that way?

    ReplyDelete